Questions for May 2016 Referenda
- Should the Otago University Students’ Association Annual Audited Financial Statements for the year ended 31 December 2015 be received and accepted? Yes/No
- Should the Otago University Students’ Association Annual Report for 2015 be received and accepted? Yes/No
- Should PricewaterhouseCoopers be appointed as Auditors for the Otago University Students’ Association for 2016? Yes/No
- Should Anderson Lloyd be appointed as Honorary Solicitors for the Otago University Students’ Association for 2016? Yes/No
- Should OUSA regulate what costumes can be worn to the Hyde Street Party by prohibiting offensive costumes? Yes/No
- Should OUSA support Helen Clark's bid for United Nations Secretary General? Yes/No
- Should OUSA oppose potential University support staff redundancies/layoffs as a result of the University's Service Level Review? Yes/No
- Should OUSA have a spa pool or communal bathing house? Yes/No
- Should OUSA lobby the University to allow all University students to have physical access to all University facilities during weekend hours? Yes/No
- Should OUSA lobby the University to make a commitment not to invest in fossil fuels? Yes/No
- Should OUSA initiate a campaign with the Dunedin City Council and University to have large glass rubbish bins (like yellow top bins) replace the current glass bins throughout North Dunedin and the student living vicinity to reduce the glass problem. Yes/No
There is a forum at 12noon on May 4 in the Main Common Room to discuss the questions for the upcoming referenda. There will be much discussion and FREE PIZZA. Get along!
Online Referenda and Student Forums
The next upcoming referendum will open 9am, May 16 and close 4pm May 19.
Submission of referendum questions is open until 4pm, April 13.
Online referenda are one of the many ways you can have your say through OUSA. Whether it's about university policy or a wider issue, you can change OUSA's stance.
Online referenda are used to guide OUSA policy; it's a direct online vote allowing every University of Otago student to have their say.
Student forums provide an opportunity for students to discuss the questions that will be in the Online Referenda. You can also submit your own questions/motions for online referenda. For example, if you think OUSA should support or oppose the Stadium, you can submit a referendum question so that students can have a say.
There are three easy ways to get your question into an OUSA Referendum. You can:firstname.lastname@example.org or refer to the OUSA Constitution.
October 2015 Referendum Results
Do you support OUSA increasing the amount of funding it provides sports teams and international clubs?
Yes 61.07% | No 30.85% | Abstain 8.08% | Total: 953
Do you support OUSA increasing the amount of funding it provides to groups who promote causes students have a specific interest in (e.g. child poverty, environmentalism)
Yes 71.56% | No 23.89% | Abstain 5.14% | Total: 953
Do you support the OUSA executive’s attempts to reform NZUSA?
Yes 58.76% | No 21.09% | Abstain 20.15% | Total: 953
Should OUSA retain or withdraw membership of the New Zealand Union of Students’ Association (NZUSA)?
Yes (Retain) 56.22% | No (withdraw) 29.99% | Abstain 13.79 | Total: 957
Do you support OUSA’s role in continuing the Hyde Street Party?
Yes 76.62% | No 19.52% | Abstain 3.86% | Total: 958
Do you support OUSA’s involvement in the Dunedin Craft Beer & Food Festival?
Yes 60.8% | No 31.13% | Abstain 8.07% | Total: 954
Should the OUSA Budget be accepted in its entirety?
Yes 58.07% | No 13% | Abstain 28.93% | Total: 954
Should OUSA alter the structure of its Executive?
Yes 37.08 | No 38.97% | Abstain 23.95% | Total: 952
Which of the following alterations to the Otago University Students’ Association (OUSA) Executive is most desirable?
Yes: Adding one full time Vice President to replace the current part-time positions of Administrative Vice President, Finance Officer and Campaigns Officer.
No: Adding one part time Vice President of Internal Affairs, one part time Vice President of External affairs and a part time generalist executive position to replace the current part time positions of administrative Vice President, Finance Officer and Campaigns Officer.
Yes 38.34% | No 30.04% | Abstain 31.62% | Total: 952