Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

18th September 2014

MINUTES OF THE OUSA EXECUTIVE MEETING HELD IN THE OUSA BULL-PEN OFFICE, OUSA, 640 CUMBERLAND STREET, DUNEDIN ON THURSDAY 18 SEPTEMBER 2014 AT 5.16PM


PRESENT
Ruby Sycamore-Smith (Chair), Ryan Edgar, Paul Hunt, Laura Harris, Payal Ramritu, Henri Faulkner, Mariana Te Pou, Jess McLean, Hamish Barker and Kurt Purdon

IN ATTENDANCE
Josie Cochrane (Critic Reporter) and Donna Jones (Minute Secretary)

APOLOGIES
Mariana Te Pou for leaving early.

Moved from the Chair
266/14 THAT the above apology be accepted.
CARRIED U

MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING
Great Southern Drag Off is on 3 October not 19 September.

Moved from the Chair
267/14 THAT the Minutes of the Executive Meeting held on 11 September 2014 be accepted as a true and correct with the above amendment.
CARRIED U

MATTERS ARISING
Aquatic Centre repairs - Jess McLean went to the Centre and checked the work and was happy to report back and enable the work to proceed.

SPEAKING RIGHTS
Moved from the Chair
268/14 THAT Josie Cochrane and Donna Jones be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.
CARRIED U
Kurt arrived at 5.17pm
Payal left at 5.18pm

HEALTH AND SAFETY UPDATE
Darel isn't here to update the meeting, however Ruby said there wasn't anything further to report from their 1:1 meeting this week.

Payal returned at 5.20pm

EXECUTIVE QUICK ROUND UP
The Executive went through the projects they had been working on.



DCC PROPOSED CHANGES TO THE ALCOHOL REGULATIONS UPDATE
As attached. Three Bars - Capone, Boogie Nights and Urban factory have indicated they could potentially close if the proposals to the Alcohol Law Reform are adopted. They emphasised this is a reality not scaremongering.

It was suggested that OUSA get out there and protest loudly about these changes and obtain signature through a petition to present with their submission.

OUSA should ask the University for their Comments. Ruby and Paul will draft a letter to send to the University.

Please indicate if you can help with collecting signatures for petition - Ruby, Paul, Ryan and Laura offered to assist. The lobbying period is 25 Sept - 10 Oct.

UNIVERSITY COMMITTEE APPOINTMENT LIST
There appears to be a misunderstanding as the requirement for this was to update the names on the spreadsheet of who is sitting on what committees and also to formalise this spreadsheet with contacts etc as it hasn't been updated for over a year properly.

Ryan has been working many hours on it and it still isn't finalised so the Secretary will now work on it. Laura also offered to help.

SQUASH CLUB AGREEMENT UPDATE
As attached. This has now been resolved as the Squash Club has fulfilled the consequences of their actions.

Harris/Te Pou
269/14 THAT the letter dated September 2014 between the Otago University Squash Club and the OUSA Recreation Officer be received.
CARRIED

LATE BLUES CONTRIBUTION APPLICATION* / BLUES PANEL MINUTES
As attached. There was an administrative error which meant a recipient who was nominated for an Outstanding Contribution to Sport Award for Basketball and for coach of the year was missed off the list. The panel have requested the addition be approved by the executive please.

McLean/Ramritu
270/14 THAT the minutes of the Blues Panel Meeting held on 21 August 2014 be received with the amendment of the late nomination.
CARRIED

McLean/Ramritu
271/14 THAT the recommendation from the Blues Panel for the late nomination of George Robinson to be awarded an Outstanding Contribution to Sport Award for services in Basketball be approved.
CARRIED


INDEPENDENT ARBITRATOR APPOINTMENT FOR ELECTIONS/REFERENDUM
The Secretary explained the requirement for the executive to appoint an Independent Arbitrator for the elections and Referendum.

Prof Paul Roth has been excellent in the past and is happy to help out again if he was asked.

Purdon/Harris
272/14 THAT Paul Roth be appointed Independent Arbitrator for the OUSA Elections, By election and Referendum being held 22 - 25 September 2014.
Hunt/Faulkner/Ramritu/McLean Abstain
CARRIED
INTERNATIONAL CULTURAL COUNCIL (ICC)
As attached. OUSA have been approached by the ICC for financial assistance from the donations line for their Gala Night in case there is an over spend.

Faulkner/Te Pou
273/14 THAT OUSA approve $1500 being moved from the donations line 3475 into the International Gala night line 3216.
CARRIED
VOLUNTEER SERVICES ABROAD (VSA)
As the attached discussion document states the dialogue between VSA members and OUSA has been confused with a flippant comment made. It was never the intention to undermine the fabulous work VSA does and the hard work of their volunteers. There will be a formal apology made for this remark.
There is currently a petition circulating with over 300 signatures for OUSA to reconsider their stance.
Mariana left at 5.56pm
Ramritu/Faulkner
274/14 THAT OUSA receive the letter from Greg Hughson (OUSA life member) in regards to the Volunteer Services Abroad (VSA) membership.
CARRIED

Harris/Ramritu
275/14 THAT OUSA recognise and receive the petition created by Ben Nistor on 'change.org' where students are asking OUSA to reinstate the membership.
CARRIED

Harris/Ramritu
276/14 THAT OUSA will work with Volunteer Services Abroad (VSA), the University of Otago and Ben Nistor to figure out the best outcome for the students in regards to the membership.
CARRIED

Ryan Edgar is strongly in favour of the VSA membership decision going to Referenda to gauge opinions from the student body, however others disagreed.

Ryan also said he wish to acknowledge that he really appreciates VSA and what they do around the world.

ELECTIONS 2015 ASSISTANCE
Polling booth will be operating in the Link from 10am daily 22 - 25 September. Could the executive please let Donna know if you could work a slot please? Mariana said she would have her Te Roopu Maori executive help when I send her the roster.

GENERAL BUSINESS
Education Officers' absence - Laura advised she will be away from 29 September until 12 October. She will make herself available via facebook and email and has the projects she will be working on.

Exam packs - Laura is sourcing contents for the packs and would like help packing them and also there will need to be a roster for distribution.

Forum - a forum is scheduled to discuss the budget on 18 Sept at noon. Please try and come along. It is policy to hold a forum to engage students and inform them of questions for the Referendum.




Meeting closed at 6.06pm