PLEASE NOTE: OUSA are now accepting club grant applications for equipment and sports uniforms.
26/05/2020 Update on OUSA Grants
Level 4 - GRANTS CLOSED
Level 3 - Open - for equipment and sports uniform purchase only
Level 2 - Open - for events under 100 people, equipment and sports uniform purchase only
Level 1 - Re open grants - for travel
This page will be updated when applications are open again, should you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Each year OUSA allocates a proportion of its budget to assist affiliated clubs and individual students with specified projects.
If you are interested in applying for a grant start with reading the following documents;
This will give you a good idea of your eligibility and the overall process.
Previously approved OUSA Grants
See what we have funded in the past to see what you might be eligible for:
Click here to see the 2017 approved Grants
Click here to see the 2018 approved Grants
Click here to see the 2019 approved Grants
If you have any queries or concerns we strongly suggest you contact our Clubs Development Officer prior to applying.
How do OUSA Grants work?
Once the Grant Round closes, the OUSA Grants panel meets 1-2 weeks after to make recommendations on submitted grants, these recommendations then are passed onto the OUSA Executive to approve. It can be 2-3 weeks after the closing date before you receive a confirmation email from the OUSA Clubs Development Officer, Sarah. If your application has been successful, you will then be required to sign a contract, which outlines how much you will receive and conditions, these must be met in order for the grant to be paid. If you have any questions, email Sarah!
Grants Due Dates 2020:
Grant Round 1 Closes Friday 28th February 5pm Grant Round 2 Close Friday 3rd of April 5pm Grant Round 3 Closes Friday 29th of May 5pm
Grant Round 4 Closes Friday 26th of June 5pm
Grant Round 5 Closes Friday 24th of July 5pm
Grant Round 6 Closes Friday 25th of September 5pm
Wild Card Grant Round TBC (Note: CLUBS ONLY)
What information is required when applying for an OUSA Club Grant?
- Information about the club
- Information about the project - avoid making assumptions that the grants panel know you and what you are doing, tell your story!
- Letter of support - this could be from a member of the community or your club president showing their support for the project.
- Quotations - a minimum of 2 quotes for your project to show the panel you are getting the best deal.
- Budget - an accurate budget which showcases all incoming and outgoing costs.
- Bank account name and number - must be a club bank account in the form of either a deposit slip, screenshot of a statement or of account. Club name and account number must be visible and cannot be typed into a document.
What information is required when applying for an OUSA Individual Grant?
- Information about the event/project.
- Confirmation from the event organisers that you/your team are involved in the event/project.
- Letter of support - you must be selected to attend the event to eligible for a grant, this letter of support must come from an official. Feel free to also provide a letter of support from a coach to support your application.
- Quotes - provide 2.
- Budget - an accurate budget which showcases all incoming and outcoming costs.
- Bank account name and number - in the form of either a deposit slip, screenshot of statement or of account. Name and account number must be visible and cannot be typed into a document.
What do the Grants panel look for when looking at an application?
- A case to support
- Measurable outcomes
- Must-haves rather than wants
- Community impact
- Applicant investment
- Vision and mission alignment
- Fair quotations
OUSA Successful Grant Examples
The below examples were successful recipients of OUSA grants in 2018.
Check out what you need to do when completing an application:
- Otago Varsity Woman's Basketball Club - Playing Uniform - click here to see the application
- Otago Samoan Students Association - Conference - click here to see the application
- Otago University Snow Sports Club - Safety Gear - click here to see the application
- Otago University Cambodian Club - Pull Up Banner - click here to see the application
- Otago Malaysian Students Association - Cultural Show Case - click here to see the application
You (or your club) may be eligible for funding outside of OUSA. This could include sources like
- University of Otago VC Grants
- University of Otago Performing Arts
- The Crown
- The Dunedin City Council - we recommend contact with and events advisor, prior to applying for funding, click here to email the DCC Events team.
- Community trusts - e.g. Otago Community Trust
- Dunedin Venues Grants
- Skeggs Foundation
- Bendigo Valley Sport and Charity Foundation
- Otago Regional Council
- New Zealand Community Trust
If your not sure about something, or want to get better clued up about grants, feel free to email the Clubs Development Officer