OUSA Logo
Executive

Meeintg Highlights

minutes

Meeintg Highlights

30 May 2018

Provide Feedback

Meeintg Highlights

MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE MEETING HELD ON WEDNESDAY 30 MAY 2018 

AT 3.01PM HELD IN THE CLUBS AND SOCIETIES CENTRE, ALBANY STREET, DUNEDIN

PRESENT

Caitlin Barlow-Groome (Chair), Cam Meads, Sam Smith, Josh Smith, Kirio Birks, Tiana Mihaere, Norhan El Sanjak, Abigail Clark, Umi Asaka, James Heath and Roger Yan

IN ATTENDANCE

Guy McCallum (Observer), Will Dreyer (Student Voice), Joel MacManus (Critic Reporter), Laura Anderson (Observer), (Observer), Finn Campbell (Observer), Monique Mullholland (Observer) and Kyra Gillies (Observer)

APOLOGIES

            Norhan El Sanjak leaving early

            Moved from the Chair

307/18 THAT the above apology be accepted.

                                                                                                                        CARRIED U

SPEAKING RIGHTS

            Moved from the Chair

308/18 THAT Debbie Downs, Donna Jones, Monique Mullholland and Will Dreyer be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.

                                                                                                                        CARRIED U

HEALTH AND SAFETY

Nothing to report except Debbie wanted remind everyone to be aware of the extreme cold and icy environment.

EXECUTIVE QUICK ROUND UP

            Suggested to keep round up, swift.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

Bolding missed on number 8, add last name in attendance and add J to motion 295/18.

            S Smith/Birks

309/18 THAT the minutes from the executive meeting held on 23 May 2018 be accepted as a true and correct record with the above amendments.

                                                                                                                        CARRIED

 

 

STUDENT VOICE PROTEST UPDATE & MOVING FORWARD

Will Dreyer addressed the meeting and thanked OUSA for their attendance and support. The Student Voice group are hosting a panel discussion next Thursday at 6pm in the Main Common Room and invited the Executive to speak. 

There will be a speaker from the Tertiary Education Union (TEU), Students against Sexual Violence (SASV) some University staff have offered support but declined to speak. 

He informed us there are posters around the campus with their topics and demands, including VSM, and freedom of expression. There was a request if OUSA could assist with the Facebook post for this to reach more students. After a straw poll it was agreed to.

Any speeches from an Executive Officer will require proofing by Caitlin beforehand.

A suggestion was made that Student Voice could consider being affiliated to OUSA or get a working group together if ongoing events are going to be a theme.  Will said they will certainly have a meeting with OUSA and discuss this going forward.

Norhan left at 3.16pm and returned at 3.18pm

RETURNING OFFICERS REPORT

            Heath/Meads

310/18 THAT the Returning Officers’ Report for the Referendum held 14-17 May 2018 be received.

                                                                                                                                    CARRIED

INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE REPORT

            Asaka/J Smith

311/18 THAT the minutes from the International Committee meeting held on 22 May 2018 be received.

                                                                                                                                    CARRIED

EXECUTIVE MEETINGS DURING EXAMS

Owing to the Executive Officer’s exams approaching it was agreed to move into Standing Committee and scheduling fortnightly meetings from Wednesday, 13 June.

STUDENT GENERAL MEETING MINUTES

            Could the words special resolution be noted on the other motions requiring this?

            Moved from the Chair

312/18 THAT the minutes from the Student General Meeting held on 24 May 2018 be received with the above amendment.

                                                                                                                        CARRIED U

           

 

                                   

GENERAL BUSINESS

            Free sauna’s at Clubs and Societies Centre next week.

            Moved from the Chair

313/18 THAT the meeting move into committee of the whole for reasons of commercial sensitivity at 3.27pm.

                                                                                                            CARRIED U

            Moved from the Chair

314/18 THAT the meeting move out of committee of the whole at 3.31pm

                                                                                                            CARRIED U

Divisional Board Reports – James Heath asked for these to be sent to him ASAP please.

Education Conversation/Kōrero Mātauranga – The Government is looking at ways to strengthen NCEA that will benefit all young people, this will affect tertiary students also.

Mental Health enquiry – Abigail would appreciate info as submissions close 5 June.

Could everyone please fill out the survey and encourage their friends and family to do the same?

Voluntary Student Membership (VSM) – Jono Gee from NZUSA has been in contact with Chris Hipkins, Minister of Education to begin setting up a plan how best to approach the VSM debate.

Chloe Swarbrick, Green Party spokesperson for Education has been in contact too.

 It has been suggested to keep it non-political. Cam will bring information back to exec as soon as he hears back from NZUSA.

CAGE PROTEST IDEA

It was noted this isn’t in any way an attack on the University. 

A group wish to lock themselves in a cage to protest about how the VSM bill has affected students.  This idea comes from a former OUSA President locking himself in a cage to protest VSM in 2011. 

Moved from the Chair

315/18 THAT Kyra Gillies be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.

                                                                                                                        CARRIED U

They said this protest could be a starter and give politicians the mandate to repeal VSM.

Moved from the Chair

316/18 THAT Guy McCallum be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.

                                                                                                                        CARRIED U

It was suggested OUSA should make this a student lead initiative.  In the past the strong student power resisted VSM by Referenda etc.

The group would like financial support from OUSA and online promotion of this protest.

OUSA Executive would like to mould some of these ideas with NZUSA with a co-operative approach so wouldn’t support the cage protest.

DELEGATION POWERS TO THE STANDING COMMITTEE

            Moved from the Chair

317/18 THAT the powers of the Executive be delegated to the Standing Committee of the Executive henceforth sine die.

                                                                                                            CARRIED U

           

Meeting closed at 3.57pm

 

 

Signed: ___________________________________            Date: _________