A big wide-ranging meeting touching on: new comittee structures under new-look Executive, with a plea from UniQ via Hayden; naming of the Blues - Otago University Students' Association, or Otago University? Depended on who paid, OUSA decided. Grants were approved to things ranging from international sports tournament attendance to a Security Council event. Money was granted to a campaign to get students involved in local body elections. Dave and the Health Sci assocs are organising a big sports tournament. A motion was passed in support of the Keep Neurosurgery in Dunedin campaign. Many other things passed under the Executive Eye.
MINUTES OF THE OUSA EXECUTIVE MEETING HELD IN THE BOARDROOM OF THE OTAGO UNIVERSITY STUDENTS' ASSOCIATION ON TUESDAY 3 AUGUST 2010 AT 5.18PM
Harriet Geoghegan (Chair), James Meager, Stephanie Reader, Katie Bryan, Michael Anderson, Shonelle Eastwood, Malia Vete, Dan Stride, Dave McKelvey, Ros Mackenzie, Travis Monk, Walker MacMurdo and Imogen Roth
Donna Jones (Minute Secretary), Stephen Alexander (General Manager), Julia Hollingsworth (Critic Reporter), Fiona Bowker (Branding & Communications), Richard Girvan, Casey Lochead, Stephanie Grange, and Hayden Thomson (Observers)
Ariana Te Wake and Claire Jackson
Ros Mackenzie for leaving early
Moved from the Chair
245/10 THAT the above apologies be accepted.
MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS EMERGENCY MEETINGS
Moved from the Chair
246/10 THAT the minutes of the Emergency Meeting held on 23 July 2010 be
accepted as a true and correct record.
Moved from the Chair
247/10 THAT the minutes of the Emergency Meeting held on 29 July 2010 be
accepted as a true and correct record.
RATIFICATION OF MOTIONS FROM EMERGENCY MEETINGS
248/10 THAT motions 237/10, 238/10, 239/10/240/10, 241/10 and 242/10 from the Emergency Meeting held on 23 July 2010 be ratified.
249/10 THAT motions 243/10 and 244/10 from the Emergency Meeting held on
29 July 2010 be ratified.
250/10 THAT Stephen Alexander, Fiona Bowker and Hayden Thomson be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.
Walker arrived at 5.22pm
HONOURS REVIEW WORKING PARTY REPORT
251/10 THAT the minutes of the Honours Review Working Party Meeting held in
July 2010 be received.
Stephanie explained how the Board of Graduate and Board of Undergraduate Studies had formed a working party to explore the relative merits of maintaining honours degrees a four year degrees in most cases or converting most honours degrees to one-year degrees following the completion of an ordinary 3 year bachelors degree.
This will be discussed at a later meeting, although it was thought the Executive would endorse the 3+1 model.
APPOINTMENTS TO THE GOLDS PANEL
It was agreed by the Recreation Unit that a Physical Education Student would be useful on this panel.
As per the recommendations of the Recreation Unit.
252/10 THAT Lorraine Isaacs be appointed to the Golds Panel from 01/08/2010
for a term not exceeding 36 months.
253/10 THAT Lisa Wilkinson be appointed to the Golds Panel from 01/08/2010 for a term not exceeding 12 months.
254/10 THAT Angela Dempster-Passang be appointed to the Golds Panel from
01/08/2010 for a term not exceeding 12 months.
POLICY COMMITTEE MINUTES
255/10 THAT the minutes of the Policy Committee Meeting held on 27 July 2010 be received.
WELFARE COMMITTEE MINUTES
256/10 THAT the minutes of the Welfare Committee Meeting held on 23 July
2010 be received.
Pregnancy Counseling Services promotional material has been revealed to be an anti-abortion group.
257/10 THAT the OUSA Executive recommends Pregnancy Counseling Services be added to OUSAâ��s Media blacklist.
258/10 THAT the OUSA executive supports measures to reduce harm caused by excessive alcohol consumption within the student community.
DIGITAL ARCHIVING WORKING PARTY MINUTES
259/10 THAT the minutes of the Digital Archiving Working Party Meeting held on
27 July 2010 be received.
Submissions close on 6 August.
James left at 5.37pm
James returned at 5.38pm
Blues Awards naming
Harriet addressed the meeting explain the change from University of Otago Blue to the Otago University Studentsâ�� Association Blue made in 2009. The University would like the name to revert back. She explained the University had offered to fund the function. There was concern expressed that this offer was only made verbally and the university could renege.
Fiona Bowker urges the Executive to hold onto the naming rights. In terms of branding we should maintain the name. She said donâ��t be blackmailed by clubs that have refused to attend the function, they have cost the association $60,000.
If the name is reverted to the University of Otago Blue, how can OUSA have their branding at the function to increase prestige?
Harriet would get notification in writing from the University of What They Want from the naming and confirmation of the funding. However, it was expressed the time frame for this was tight as the function was coming up quickly. It would be more practical if the entire policy wasnâ��t deferred for another week, only the part about the name.
It was asked if the clubs and societies mailing list could be emailed and their opinions on the name sought.
260/10 THAT the Blues Policy be amended with the agreed changes made to
Executive Job Descriptions
These are attached as a draft of how they reflect the new positions.
There will be a lot of bedding in to be done whilst the new structure settles into place. There were concerns from some of the Queer students on how this new structure would represent them.
Hayden Thomson addressed the meeting to ask for some clarification on how the new executive structure expects to represent the Queer students and other minority groups. Who do they actually liaise with on the committees?
It was pointed out that UniQ is a social network and not fully representational of all Queer Students.
How would the liaising with national queer organizations work?
The Queer students group was told to get their budget submissions to James Burford via email to the student support centre as soon as possible.
They were assured there would be representation for minority groups in the new structure.
Appointing Representatives to committees will have a revamp, during such time; there will be full consultation with staff, the executive, and groups on Facebook etc. You will get a chance to be reassured.
There was concern expressed how there hasnâ��t been a good hand over in past years. This is going to be rectified with the new structure. A suggestion that there be good solid Memorandum of Understandingâ��s drawn up for some of the committees. This will be discussed at the next Policy Committee (PolCom) meeting next Tuesday.
The attached job descriptions were agreed upon in draft form and further work will be undertaken at PolCom.
THE KIDS FOUNDATION FUNDING REQUEST
Unfortunately there have been a few funding requests. The Executive agreed to sadly decline this request this year. The Secretary will call them tomorrow.
DOCUMENTARY LIRARY PROPOSAL
Imogen spoke to the University Library Committee and this isnâ��t possible at the moment. They suggested giving some DVD titles to the library and they may buy them. There is a two hour restriction hiring period.
James left at 6.24pm
James returned at 6.25pm
261/10 THAT the OUSA Executive works with the University Library to try and obtain a DVD documentary library for students
VOTE LOCAL CAMPAIGN
As per the memorandum this campaign is to encourage students to get enrolled and vote in the local body elections. There are a number of students that are living in Dunedin and it is important to target them.
Good for OUSA to show a commitment, especially as the elections are being held earlier this time and students will be in town.
This is a good opportunity for the Dunedin City Council to support students better than in the past.
It was pointed out with concern about the Campaign and Initiatives line being heavily spent. This was not demeaning this campaign just a gentle caution.
262/10 THAT OUSA allocate $2655 to the Vote Local Campaign from the Campaigns and Initiatives line.
HEALTH SCIENCES PROFESSIONAL COURSES PROPOSAL
As the attached memorandum states the combined Health Science Studentsâ�� Associations would like to run an interfaculty sports tournament and interfaculty party to bring students together. This would be run over two weeks.
It was suggested that this be named the OUSA Interfaculty Sports Tournament. Or have OUSAâ��s name on the trophies as they are contributing. David McKelvey will liaise with Fiona Bowker about the branding and advertising over the next few days.
263/10 THAT OUSA allocate $1431to the OUSA Health Science Interfaculty
Sports Tournament from the Campaigns and Initiative line.
SPORTS & SOCIETIES COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
264/10 THAT the minutes from the Combined Affiliated Sports and Societies
Council meeting held on 20 July 2010 be received.
GRANTS MINUTES AND RECOMMENDATIONS
265/10 THAT the minutes of the Grants Committee meeting held on 29 July 2010 be received.
266/10 THAT the recommendations of the Grants Committee Meeting held on
29 July 2010 be approved.
267/10 THAT the Otago Campus Badminton Club be granted $400 for the
purpose of holding coaching clinics.
268/10 THAT the Capoeira club be granted $250 for the purpose of purchasing
269/10 THAT the Indian Students Association be granted $500 for expenses
relating to their cultural night, dependent upon them providing their
270/10 THAT the Muslim Students Association be granted $250 for Islam
271/10 THAT the Otago University Australian Rules Football Club be granted
$200 towards the purchase of footballs and cones.
272/10 THAT the Otago Campus Christians be granted $500 for camp fees for
the annual student camp.
273/10 THAT the Sri Lankan Students Association be granted $500 towards the
costs associated with their annual Cultural Night.
274/10 THAT the tramping club be granted $1598 for the purchase of two
275/10 THAT the United Nations Association be granted $500 towards the cost
of the Security Council event, specifically for venue hire, NZMSC registration cost, book voucher (prize), posters, miscellaneous printing costs, and projector and screen hire, as outlined in their budget. The grant contract will be dependent upon provision of the clubs financial records.
276/10 THAT the AIESEC participants each be granted $100 for flights.
277/10 THAT the Squash Players each be granted $100 for flights/
278/10 THAT the Rowing Team each be granted $300 for flights.
279/10 THAT William Horton be granted $300 for flights and delegates fees.
280/10 THAT Alicia Malcolm be granted $300 for flights to attend the Oceania
281/10 THAT Lydia McCormack be granted $300 for flights to attend the World
Junior Beach Volleyball World Championships.
282/10 THAT Mohd Mohamed be granted $150 for flights and expenses
associated with attending the Bersatu games.
283/10 THAT Paris Pidduck be granted $300 for flights to attend the Canoe Polo Championships.
Thank you letters to OUSA for funding applications from Jaclyn Parker â��
Beach Handball and Nicholas Erskine â�� OU Medical Studentsâ�� Association were noted.
Art Week /Debt Awareness Campaign â�� as per the email circulated.
284/10 THAT $166.23 be allocated to the Art Week/Debt Awareness campaign
from the Campaigns and Initiatives line.
Budget submissions - please get these to James asap.
Elections 2011 â�� those who arenâ��t standing could they please help with
advertising and polling. See Donna.
Keep the Neurosurgery at Dunedin Hospital â�� there is a protest march planned for Friday at 11.30am. All to assemble at the Octagon to march to the hospital where there will be a human chain with people linking arms around the entire hospital.
285/10 THAT the OUSA Executive supports the â��keep Neurosurgery in Dunedin
Review of Students Desktops â�� Harriet is being interviewed about this. If you have feedback or ideas please talk to her so she can pass them on.
Vice Chancellorâ��s appointment â�� there is a student focus group of five people being asked to give feedback on what students want in a VC.
Imogen, Dan, Steph, Walker and Shonelle said they were interested.
RU OK duties â�� Would there be executive members available to work tonight at the White Out gig? The executive were concerned at the late notice of this. Please contact the Events Crew if you can work asap.
Class Rep training â�� tomorrow at lunchtime in Burns. Steph will email you.
Next Executive Meeting â�� this will be next Tuesday at the normal time at
the Unipol building.
Meeting closed 7pm
Signed: _________________________________ Date: _____________