OUSA Logo
Executive

Meeting Highlights

minutes

Meeting Highlights

25 July 2018

Provide Feedback

Meeting Highlights

MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE MEETING HELD ON WEDNESDAY 25th JULY 2018 AT 3.04 PM HELD IN THE CLUBS AND SOCIETIES CENTRE, ALBANY STREET, DUNEDIN

 

PRESENT

Caitlin Barlow-Groome (Chair), Cam Meads, Sam Smith, James Heath, Abigail Clark, Roger Yan, Norhan El Sanjak, Kirio Birks, Josh Smith and Umi Asaka.

IN ATTENDANCE

Debbie Downs (Chief Executive Officer), Donna Jones (Minute Secretary), Charlie O’Mannin (Critic News Reporter), Hannah Morgan (Student – Fundraising for Mental Health)

APOLOGIES

            Tiana Mihaere

            Moved from the Chair

381/18 THAT the above apology be accepted.

                                                                                                                        CARRIED U

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

            Moved from the Chair

382/18 THAT the minutes of the executive meeting held on 18 July 2018 be accepted as a true and correct record.

                                                                                                                        CARRIED U

SPEAKING RIGHTS

            Moved from the Chair

383/18 THAT Debbie Downs, Donna Jones, Charlie O’Mannin and Hannah Morgan be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.

                                                                                                                        CARRIED U

HEALTH AND SAFETY

            Nothing to report this week.

EXECUTIVE QUICK ROUND UP

            Cam arrived at 3.08pm

            Roger arrived at 3.10pm

FORMAL COMPLAINT RESPONSE

The executive gave Kirio Birks the opportunity to speak to his response to the original complaint which now was addressed to the executive and him personally.  The executive have also responded.  All attached.

Kirio expressed he would like students who attend meetings to be remunerated for their time.

Kirio was asked to elaborate on his 4th Reason where he mentioned I have maintained links with and assisted affiliated postgraduate bodies. A PG affiliated body doesn’t exist.

The meeting agreed to alter the agenda order to allow Hannah Morgan to speak on her item listed.

AWARENESS OF MENTAL HEALTH CAMPAIGN

Hannah Morgan is swimming the Foveaux Strait from 12-14 February 2019 to raise awareness of mental health in New Zealand especially among our youth.

Hannah intends to make this a fundraising effort, with the funds being put towards the Mental Health Foundation to assist in engaging communities in conversation about mental health and OUSA to assist with the provision of more accessible peer and support services, prevention, promotion and to ensure students know where to go and find this support.  It was agreed OUSA would assist with sharing her message through social media etc.

Hannah has been looking for funding, will be approaching Rotary Clubs around Dunedin.  Her funding goal is $20,000. 

The meeting expressed their gratitude for the financial support and commended Hannah on her massive feat. OUSA would be willing to help her and suggested we make an appearance at Foveaux Strait. 

Moved from the Chair

384/18 THAT the OUSA Executive thank Hannah Morgan for donating money from her Swim Strait for Life Campaign to OUSA for Mental Health Awareness.

                                                                                                                        CARRIED U

  Moved from the Chair

385/18 THAT OUSA officially support Hannah Morgan on her Swim Strait for Life Campaign and wish her good luck.

                                                                                                                        CARRIED U

FORMAL COMPLAINT RESPONSE CONTINUED

After a lengthy discussion the meeting agreed that a good way forward would be for the President, Administrative Vice President and the Postgraduate Officer to meet on a weekly basis to confirm evidence of workload.

Caitlin is working on a complaints process document.  She is consulting the University and other places for ideas to formulate a plan to report back.

Josh left at 3.46pm

Moved from the Chair

386/18 THAT the Complaint to: the Executive passing Kirio Birks second quarter report – 17 July 2018, the Complaint to: Post-Graduate Officer Kirio Birk’s second quarterly reported – 20 July 2018, the response to Complaints from Kirio Birks, the OUSA Executive response – 24 July 2018 be received.

                                                                                                            CARRIED U

            Sinead will be notified of this outcome.

CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICERS’ JUNE REPORT

            Moved from the Chair

387/18 THAT the meeting move into Committee of the Whole for reasons of Commercial Sensitivity at 3.54pm.

                                                                                                            CARRIED U

            Moved from the Chair

388/18 THAT the meeting move out of Committee of the Whole at 3.55pm.

                                                                                                            CARRIED U

            Moved from the Chair

389/18 THAT the Chief Executive Officers’ June report be received.

                                                                                                            CARRIED U

WELFARE COMMITTEE AND REPORTS

            Clark/Meads

390/18 THAT the Welfare Committee Meeting minutes of 19 July 2018 be received.

                                                                                                            CARRIED

            Clark/Meads

391/18 THAT the Healthy University Advisory Group report of 10 July 2018 be received.

                                                                                                            CARRIED

            Clark/Meads

392/18 THAT the Otago Tertiary Chaplaincy Trust Board report of 12 July 2018 be received.

                                                                                                            CARRIED

SOUTHERN CAMPUS/OUSA MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING

            S Smith/Meads

393/18 THAT the Common Seal be affixed to the Memorandum of Understanding 2018 between Otago University Students’ Association (OUSA) and Southland Satellite Campus (SSC).

                                                                                                            CARRIED

ELECTION TICKETS DISCUSSION

After another discussion it was agreed not to change the rules pertaining to elections tickets.  However, it was suggested to look at the ‘people power’ (tickets having more people) during campaigning to give everyone a chance, although good to be mindful we not to restrict groups as it encourages election engagement.

CORPORATE SUPPORT REVIEW

The Secretary explained OUSA in conjunction with the University of Otago is about to review evaluate and report to the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic) and our CEO on matters pertaining to the CSU.

All stakeholders, staff and the executive are invited to make a submission and the review panel would like to meet with the executive.  A time will be set up between 6-8 August 2018. Please let the Secretary know your availability.

GENERAL BUSINESS

            Marketing and Communications Manager Recruitment –

            Moved from the Chair

394/18 THAT the meeting move into Committee of the Whole for reasons of personal privacy at 4.23pm.

                                                                                                                        CARRIED U

            Moved from the Chair

395/18 THAT the meeting move out of Committee of the Whole at 4.26pm

                                                                                                                        CARRIED U

IR330C tax forms – the Executive need to re-sign their tax forms and give them to the Secretary for the next payroll please. 

Committee meeting food – please be mindful of purchasing refreshments for attendance at meetings.  There are large amounts being spent.

RA Event – please feel free to attend this meeting tomorrow 1-3pm in the MCR.

Paint and Sip – Esther will be running her evening of painting Friday.  

Midwinter staff/exec lunch – this Friday at the Eureka Café, 1pm. 

 

Meeting closed at 4.28pm

 

 

Signed: ___________________________________                                    Date: _________