Logan Edgar (Chair), Jono Rowe, Ryan Edgar, Blake Luff, Juana Diesing, Angus McDonald, Maria Pozza and Francisco Hernandez
Darel Hall (OUSA General Manager and Minute Secretary), Matt Tucker (Student Support Centre Manager)
Lisa Pohatu, Min Chua
Francisco Hernandez for leaving early
236/12 THAT the above apologies be accepted.
MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
237/12 THAT the minutes of the executive meeting held on 21 August 2012 be accepted as a true and correct record.
WOMEN'S ROOM PHONE
238/12 THAT Matt Tucker and Darel Hall be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.
Logan introduced the issue of whether there should be a phone in the Women's Room and Fran circulated an email from Ruth Macklin in support of the proposition. Matt Tucker's provided an analysis of the pros and cons of the issue.
239/12 THAT OUSA places a telephone in the Women's Room in the University Union Building
Note: staff will place posters in the Women's room directing students to phones in the OUSA main reception, Executive Lounge and Clubs & Societies Building for their use.
REPRESENTATIVE ON RELAY FOR LIFE
Blake and Angus were delegated to decide on this matter with the intention of both being on the committee.
BLUES POLICY AMENDMENTS
240/12 THAT the Blues Policy as amended be accepted.
GOLDS PANEL MINUTES AND RECOMMENDATIONS
241/12 THAT the Minutes of the Gold's Panel Meeting held on 16 August 2012 be received and recommendations endorse and agreed with the addition of a Silver Service Award the Executive felt was particularly meritorious.
Note: due to confidentiality requirements until October 4 the details of the additional award will be handled by the Recreation Officer.
REFERENDA DATES AND QUESTIONS
Notice was given of an Emergency Executive Meeting at 9am on Thursday 6 September 2012 to deal with these matters further.
242/12 THAT a Student Forum be held on Thursday 20 September 2012 in the Main Common Room at 12 noon or outside if weather permits
PROPOSED 2013 BUDGET DRAFT
The General Manager introduced the draft budget. Executive members made the following points:
1. Staff to manage $3 dinners: 10 - 15 hours per week
2. Would like the Paint Party during Re-O back at the Union in 2013 - not so great at the Edgar Centre. Also agree with staff that one large music night is needed, not two. Challenge to Exec members to stay involved with Events team to help them understand current music tastes of students.
3. Endorsed the idea of collaborating with Mud, Sweat and Tears
4. Liked the OUSA Phone App idea
5. Want better promotion of OUSA services to staff at the University and students in Colleges particularly in term 1
6. Need to make better provision for earthquake strengthening
7. Would like to see better links between the SSC and other parts of the university eg Health, PI and Maori Centres
8. Better links OUSA to Colleges generally.
9. Want liaison/ support for satellite campus students
10. Better and more systematic training and induction of Exec including a good Induction Manual and a guide on how to work with staff.
11. Additional PA support for the President and Executive
12. Additional research support to ensure the Executive can speak authoritatively on issues with technical components.
The General Manager advised that at least one full time equivalent staff member in the Student Support Centre was a likely outcome of the discussion, as well as some extra staff time in the OUSA Support area under Donna Jones, some additional promotional spend, and a first call on capital expenditure to go to earthquake strengthening requirements along with other health and safety compliance identified.
Rowe/ Edgar, L.
243/12 THAT the Budget be amended with the Executive's feedback and that this be finalized and agreed to by the President and Vice President on Friday 7 September.
WELFARE COMMITTEE MEETING
ENVIROMENTAL COMMITTEE MEETING
244/12 THAT the minutes of the Environmental Committee meeting held on 23 August 2012 be received
OTAGO UNIVERSITY WELLINGTON CAMPUS REPORT
Fran introduced his draft report speaking to the needs of Otago's Wellington-based students. The Executive commended Fran on his report and asked him to prepare a similar needs assessment for Christchurch-based students and Invercargill-based students. The need to do a better job with non-Dunedin students was accepted.
245/12 THAT the "Report on the University of Otago Wellington Campus" dated September 2012 be received
246/12 THAT reasonable expenses be approved from the Executive Travel budget line so that Fran can carry out the Christchurch and Invercargill reports
Maria Pozza (Post Graduate Officer) absence - Maria will be out of country from 14 September until 27 October. In her absence Charlotte Dunn will care take her position.
Meeting closed at 7.55pm