5 September 2016Provide Feedback
MINUTES OF THE OUSA EXECUTIVE MEETING HELD IN THE OUSA CLUBS AND SOCIETIES CENTRE BUILDING, ALBANY STREET, DUNEDIN ON MONDAY 5 SEPTEMBER 2016 AT 4.32PM
Laura Harris (Chair), Jesse Hall, Alexia Cochrane, Bryn Jenkins, Rachel Goh, Bayden Harris and Mariana Te Pou
Debbie Downs (Chief Executive Officer), Guy Howard-Smith (Mural painter), Donna Jones (Minute Secretary), Hugh Baird (Critic Editor) and Joel McManus (Critic Reporter)
Jarred Griffiths, William Guy and Sean Gamble
Jessie Hall for leaving early
Bayden Harris and Mariana Te Pou for lateness
Moved from the Chair
280/16 THAT the above apologies be accepted.
Moved from the Chair
281/16 THAT Debbie Downs, Donna Jones, Guy Howard-Smith, Hugh Baird and Joel McManus be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.
MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
Moved from the Chair
282/16 THAT the minutes of the Executive meeting held on 22 August 2016 be accepted as a true and correct record.
Guy Howard-Smith was invited to address the meeting and talk to his proposal attached. Guy has recently been given permission to paint a mural on the side wall of 74 Albany Street, adjacent from the University Library. He would like to paint something to paint a message with an ecological message that may encourage students to take a positive ownership of their environment.
He has applied for funding through Creative Communities for this project and has secured $5,000 but would like to obtain support from OUSA.
He suggested he could set up a tent during orientation near the site to encourage good environmental issues among students.
Keep Dunedin Beautiful committee are also thrilled with this idea and happy to support it.
The deadline for Guy to finalise this proposal is 13 September so would like a response from OUSA as soon as possible please.
Laura thanked Guy for coming and said the executive supported his proposal in principle but if this was next year it wouldn’t be this executive’s decision for the funding. Guy offered to start it in December if this would help.
Laura will write an email of support to Guy and make a recommendation that next years’ executive support this good idea.
283/16 THAT the President’s July and August reports be received.
BLUES AND GOLDS MINUTES AND WINNERS
As attached but Winners results embargoed.
284/16 THAT the meeting move into Committee of the Whole for reasons of personal privacy at 4.46pm
285/16 THAT the meeting move out of Committee of the Whole at 4.50pm
286/16 THAT the minutes of the Blues and Golds meeting held on 29 August 2016 be received and the recommendations be approved.
Jesse left at 4.50pm
WELFARE COMMITTEE MINUTES
Bryn was asked how the working group with Student Health about flu jabs was going.
287/16 THAT the minutes of the Welfare Committee meetings held on 12 April 2016 and 24 May 2016 be received.
REFERENDUM/SGM DATE FOR SECOND SEMESTER
The Secretary pointed out that we need to hold a second referendum or a student meeting to set the levy and the budget for the forthcoming year.
It was up to the executive to choose which way to put this to the student body however, the companies office does state we need to hold an Annual General Meeting each year.
The 2017 budget will be submitted to the executive at the next meeting.
The Secretary will email the executive to see if they desire a meeting or a referenda as there isn’t a full team here at the meeting.
Elections – the Secretary notified the meeting Kyla Mullen has been appointed as the returning officer for this election and Paul Roth was asked at the beginning of the year if he would be available for the entire year. He will be out of the country for some of the time but contactable via email.
Please ensure you don’t endorse candidates during the elections. If you are in doubt of any elections rules please contact the Returning Officer for clarification.
Chaplaincy Board – the Board wanted to express their gratitude to OUSA for the flowers sent to the funeral of an overseas student who died suddenly.
Next meeting – owing to urgent items being deferred another meeting is scheduled for Monday 12 September at 4.30pm in Room 3.
Meeting closed at 5.09pm