19 August 2019Provide Feedback
MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 19 AUGUST 2019 AT 9.15AM HELD IN THE CLUBS AND SOCIETIES CENTRE, ALBANY STREET, DUNEDIN
James Heath (Chair), Georgia Mischefski-Gray, Bonnie Harrison, William Dreyer, Kerrin Robertson-Scanlon, Matthew Schep, Josh Smith, Jack Manning and Sabrina Alhady
Debbie Downs (Chief Executive Officer), Donna Jones (Minute Secretary), Robert Griffiths (POLSA Vice-President), Charlie Hilton (Critic Editor) and Sinead Gill (Critic Reporter)
342/19 THAT the above apology be accepted.
MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS EXECUTIVE MEETING
Moved from the Chair
343/19 THAT the minutes of the executive meeting held on 12 August 2019 be accepted as a true and correct record.
James made a Facebook event about tagging grants to attendance at student meetings for our affiliated clubs and societies groups.
The Executive have been busy creating imaginative posters and advertising for our up and coming Student General Meeting. There will be an exec working bee to get them up after this meeting. Excellent work team!
Moved from the Chair
344/19 THAT Debbie Downs, Donna Jones and Robert Griffiths be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.
Robert Griffiths from the Politics Students Association was invited to address the meeting. The POLSA are keen to work with OUSA in the up and coming Local Body Elections. He suggested they help with debates around campus etc. OUSA has contacted DebSoc who were also willing to be involved. The Executive will finalise a plan and get in touch with them both as voting starts on 22nd September.
Robert was thanked for coming.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
No incidents to report.
- 2020 Budgeting still in progress. Compulsory Student Services Fee (CSSF) meeting with OUSA and the University for the Service Level Agreement (SLA) part of the budget is being held this afternoon. Other parts of the budgeting within OUSA are underway.
- Collective Employment Agreement was ratified with cost of living increases to staff.
- Marketing and Communications full time employee recruitment – this is nearing an end with a verbal offer being accepted. There will be a written offer sent today and if the person accepts they could start ASAP.
- Student Support Centre – SSC down a staff member but will manage.
- Radio One Golden Ticket – This promo is gaining traction with the first $100 being won.
- OUSA Survey will be going live the first week in September.
KAYAK RACING CLUB CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT
345/19 THAT the Kayak Racing Club Constitution amendments be accepted.
ELECTION RULES ADDITIONS
Georgia was suggesting a few ideas to make campaigning more transparent. She is meeting with the Returning Officer on Friday to ask his advice.
A couple of questions are:
Should individuals on the affiliated Clubs and Societies email list be allowed to endorse candidates?
It was pointed out how the Clubs and Societies Facebook list is good for International Students as they have limited contacts.
Are the Clubs and Societies emails the same as the University Email list? It was suggested we define University email list clearly.
Should Affiliated Clubs and Societies be allowed to endorse candidates? The general consensus was to allow this but strengthen the rule not to discriminate. Georgia and James are going to look into this further and report back.
FORUM DATES AND FACILITATOR
As attached memo’ says – should there be forums on 10th, 11th and 12th September for the candidates? It was agreed there should be a day Presidential forum and an evening one starting at 7pm at The Starters Bar. The others will be in the Main Common Room if we confirm the dates are available. Donna will check.
The Forum dates will be set next meeting.
Georgia and Ben will have a chat to Marketing and Communications about advertising them once the dates are set.
Kerrin left at 10.03am and returned at 10.04am.
After a brief discussion it was agreed to have Critic and Radio One Facilitate the Forums. Radio One will perhaps have the Presidential candidates on air. Donna to confirm.
BLUES AND GOLDS PANEL APPOINTMENTS
Moved from the Chair
346/19 THAT James Heath, Sarah Taylor, Josh Smith, Sze En Watts, Anthony Richie, Ryan Rosevear, Daniel Porter, Taylor Rose Terekia, Darcy Knox and Alex Carr be appointed to the Blues and Golds Panel for 2019.
COLLEGES COMMITTEE MINUTES
347/19 THAT the minutes of the Colleges Committee meeting held on 2 August 2019 be received.
MENTAL HEALTH PLAN
Owing to computer issues this wasn’t attached until this meeting.
Kerrin addressed the meeting stating her first idea of a video going out within the next two weeks would be a priority. She agreed assistance with editing, filming and scripting would be appreciated. Jack offered to assist here.
Agenda changed direction to enable document to be emailed for reading at this meeting.
Colleges visits for valid voting – Jack has been very busy visiting all the Colleges and said 500 enrolment forms had been collected. A great effort by Jack who visited every college!
The voting commission have expressed their gratitude to OUSA and wish to shout morning tea sometimes.
Cultural Carnival – There are six booths available. Sabrina would appreciate if the Executive could attend on 21 September. If some could help with setting up on the night please. Colleges Committee have offered to help.
William left at 10.27am and returned at 10.28am
Jack left at 10.32am and returned at 10.33am
MENTAL HEALTH PLAN
Kerrin suggested installations of external mental health groups would be in her planning, ensuring that we are catering for a diverse group of students.
It would be good to have a video for the end of the year for our Postgraduate students who are still hard at work after some other students have left the city.
This week Kerrin is working on Slogans and campaign names for the mental health events.
It was suggested that owing to this plan being late in the year that what is set up from now on be ready for use first thing next year.
Executive Grads – congratulations to Taylor, Matthew and William on graduating this weekend.
SGM video is ready to go – Ben and James will ask Marketing and Communications if this could be shared as soon as possible.
348/19 THAT Lewis Brown be thanked for his hard work pro bono, contributing to this wonderful SGM video.
Student Voice Consultation document -
Chris Hipkins the Minister of Education has released the Student Voice consultation document. William suggested this was an opportunity for biggest change to student voice since VSM.
“Ever since Voluntary Student Membership came into effect in 2011, student voice throughout the country has suffered tremendously. NZUSA have been pushing for changes to student voice ever since this point.”
NZUSA partner the Tertiary Education Union has also come out in support of these announcements. Commendations to NZUSA on this.
Other organisations will be getting involved in this and submissions will be requested.
Proposed new executive job descriptions –
Georgia will email these out today.
Student General Meeting - 22 August
- Lecture bashing to encourage attendance
- Jack will inform Colleges about the SGM
- Bonnie will copy a booklet of the old and new constitution with changes for attendees. Also to book the BBQ
- Sarah Taylor will be asked if she could inform all clubs and societies if they could attend
- William and Ben to organise food, bread, sauce etc for BBQ. Also order pizza
- Kerrin asked to organise the set-up of the MCR with extra chairs
Postgraduate student allowance – James Heath will converse with James Ranstead at NZUSA about the Select Committee.
Meeting closed at 10.55am
Signed: ___________________________________ Date: _________